MC3 subject + not + verb
You will need:
- Oval and hexagon shapes and/or SHAPE CODING app
- Black not cross cut out
App settings: Default
- Place a large oval and hexagon in front of the child and take turns to act out (or demonstrate using toys and small figures), a variety of target high frequency verbs, e.g. sleeping, singing, laughing, standing, hopping, sitting, jumping. For example: “Ted (is) jump(ing)”. Use sign and/or symbol to support the understanding/use of each verb. Do not worry about what form of the verb the child uses. Accept all forms of verb use, e.g. sleep, jumping, hop.
- Ask the child to act out an example above again, e.g. Ted (is) jump(ing). Now place a large black cross between the oval and hexagon to indicate ‘negation’. Pick another toy who is static and say: “Ben is not jumping”. Emphasize the not with voice/sign and by pointing to the cross.
- Ask questions to check/enhance comprehension of who is jumping/not jumping. Now ask the child to show you more toys in a similar manner, e.g. Hulk is sleeping. Spider is not sleeping. Get the child to remove/add the black cross to support negation.
- Repeat with multiple examples
© Moor House School & College