CJ2 Intervention Overview
Using the SHAPE CODING™ System Coordinated Clauses with '(and) then' Intervention Outline
NB This is an interim target for children who do not have enough temporal vocabulary to move onto CJ3
You will need:
- Toys/small figures
- Paired sequence cards e.g. boy cleaning teeth/boy in bed
- Strips of paper
- and then prompt card
App settings: Default
- Select a pair of images. Ask the child to sequence them logically and then create 1 sentence about what happened in each image. e.g. The boy cleaned his teeth. The boy went to bed. If the child is literate , write these sentences on separate strips of paper.
- Place ‘and then’ between the images. Explain you can join the 2 ideas together in order using the words and then. Model the coordinated sentence ‘The boy cleaned his teeth and then the boy/he went to bed’. Help the child to tell you the 2 ideas joined with and then.
- Fold back or cover up the and on the prompt card and ask child to say the same sentences using just then.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with further images. Remove written sentence strips, if memory skills allow. Leave and then visible until coordination established. If the child does not use (and ) then, be explicit in your feedback. Tell them you heard 2 separate good ideas. Ask them what they can do to join them together in order. Point to (and) then prompt.
- Consolidate using small toys – ask the child to pick a toy and act out 2 actions. Ask the child to tell what happened. e.g. Superman picked up the rock and then threw it at the alien.