AG4 Intervention Overview
Using the SHAPE CODING™ System 'Were' With Coordinated NP Subjects
NB use of ‘was’ for the plural copula/auxiliary is acceptable in some dialects, e.g. SE England London/Kent.
Check out / teach present tense plural ‘are ‘ accuracy first and only intervene if culturally valid.
You will need:
- Two small ovals, one large oval, diamonds (was/were), semicircle, cloud, hexagon.
- Small toys , action pictures.
- Red / blue pens.
App settings: Turn on plurals, coordinated nouns in oval and plural past tense diamond.
First complete AG4& 5 Steps 1-3 if necessary.
1. Repeat all sentence types from AG4 & 5 with two different subjects in the oval, e.g. The cat and the dog were fluffy. The cat and the dog were/sitting under the table. You could use these PowerPoint slides.
This time draw a single red line under cat and another under dog. Explain that these ‘add up like a sum’ to more than one so must have a double blue line in the diamond, i.e. ‘were’.
Repeat with multiple examples of a plural noun phrase in the oval, e.g. Mum and Dad were…
For practice you could try drag and drop exercise
2. Reducing shapes: use fewer and fewer shapes/lines, but then bring back to check responses.
3. Monitoring: SLT start to make “errors”, get student to spot and correct them.
- Using shape templates as an aid
- Without the templates.
Complete written error detection exercises as appropriate: Error Detection past was/were sentences
- At the end of each session, review verbs covered in previous sessions.
- Start to mix up sentences to use a range of subjects, copulas, auxiliaries and verbs consecutively.
- Complete written cloze exercises as appropriate: mixed was/were agreement cloze
- Generalisation: Watch video clips and ask the student to create a running commentary. Look at picture books and say: “What was happening?” NB If you ask: “What was Dad doing?” an acceptable response would be just running. Give prompts that require a full Subject auxiliary Verbing sentence.